June 19, 2006

When death happens

I lost a friend a few days ago.

Well, I never actually met her physically. She got married to a good friend of mine but it was painful to hear. Really painful. I still haven’t called him. I don’t know what to say. How to say anything for that matter.

What gets to me the most is the way things just seem normal. After all, the sun rose like it would on any other day. The same smiles on the faces that greet you. Or frowns! Yet death happens.

Three months we spent in the training school. Three months of unmasking. Three months of laughter, arguments, tests and hugs. Three months of friendship. Now it’s three years later and tragedy.

Just like that. Like I said, I never met his wife, I didn’t need to, to feel. No one deserves this kind of grief. There is no manual to deal with trauma. These dirty little games life throws at us. Yet it happens time and time again.

Personally I have witnessed death, my brother, my friend, my sister in law. Each thought me a different lesson. But truly did I need death to teach me what I needed to know. I think not. Where does one start from? What do I say to him?

I felt so empty inside. Then I thought; ‘what would HE be feeling’? Married a few months ago. Just began a new life and family and wham! The rug is snatched right under his feet. With a baby to care for.

Or am I the one who is taking it too far?

Death? It has its sting but the world moves on like it always does.

Like everything else in my reality, I have to deal with it.

No comments: